Saturday, May 17, 2008

A note about this blog and me in general.

I talk a lot of shit sometimes. I do want to note that it's not because I'm a know-it-all, even though I do state opinions plainly. It's my believe that saying "IMO" and the like is just... spineless. State your opinion. Stand behind it. "This sucks." Obviously it's an opinion. Someone that gets pissed off about an opinion on the internet, or who can't interpret a qualitative judgment as being an opinion, isn't someone you want to waste time arguing with anyway.

But the entire purpose of writing and giving opinions isn't to try to make people think that I'm right, or get them to go along with my thinking. No no no no. I mean, that's nice and all, but that's not the point. I can hold opinions without anyone else agreeing with them.

My point is to put all these thoughts out there for the specific purpose of being challenged. Opinions which can not withstand a challenge are no good and need to be changed. It seems to be common on the internet to act offended when one's opinion is challenged, like an opinion is a sacred thing, or that all opinions are equal. I don't know what kind of friends all you guys have out there, but in my circle of friends, if someone is acting like a fucking idiot, they are told that they are acting like a fucking idiot. Not that I want comments calling me a fucking idiot, but I don't have a lot of contact with the gaming community at large, so a lot of my opinions and impressions are formed in a vacuum. I want to see how they survive being let out into the open. Challenge me.

Not that I'll agree with common wisdom, or that I'll bow down to the reality of any situation, or even that I'll even be reasonable. But I can admit when I'm wrong. So show me where I'm wrong. Confront me with things that I haven't thought of yet, so I can include that in the development of my own point of view.

No comments:

Post a Comment